28

Mar

Keep your home safe from white goods fires.

Did you know that fire crews were called to 327 white goods fires in Scotland last year?

The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service (SFRS) has launched a new campaign to highlight the dangers of such fires, with advice on what to do to stay safe.

SFRS Deputy Chief Officer David McGown said: “People may not associate white goods such as washing machines and tumble dryers with fire, but we responded to 327 white goods fires last year alone.  121 fires were caused by washing machines, 111 caused by tumble dryers, 53 by fridge-freezers and 33 caused by dishwashers.”

“People are aware of the traditional causes of fire in the home, such as cooking, smoking and alcohol, but the risk of fire from white goods is also one which we all face. This campaign sets out to highlight not only the risk of fire but simple steps you can take to significantly reduce that risk to yourself, your family and all that is important to you.”

There are simple steps everyone can take to avoid fires involving appliances such as tumble dryers, washing machines and dishwashers.

Follow this advice to help you stay safe:

  • Don’t leave appliances such as dishwashers, tumble dryers and washing machines running when you are sleeping
  • If you’re not in, make sure your appliances are switched off
  • Don’t overfill your washing machine or tumble dryer – it could help you avoid a fire
  • Clean the lint trap on your tumble dryer after every use.

The SFRS message is clear. Use your white goods safely. Don’t risk it.

“If you’re out or asleep, it’s just not on.”